Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 4

Today, the waking up at 7AM officially ended and I think vacation mode has truly sunk in. Around 10:30, I crawled out of bed and we lazed around by the fire all morning. It was the first day of misty rain and it was so relaxing.
We finally got moving around 2:00, packed a picnic lunch and headed south to Depoe Bay to check out the Devil's Punchbowl and find some fresh salmon. Since it was raining, we pulled over to a lookout site and ate lunch in the car, surrounded by begging seagulls. They were NOT shy and probably would have hopped in the car if we rolled down the windows. From the Devil's Punchbowl, we could see Yaquina Head Lighthouse and decided to drive over to it.
When we got there, we found out the lighthouse was closing in 15 minutes, so we went straight to it. Waiting in line, I was wondering just what kind of torture I was about to subject my legs to. 111 winding steps later, we were feelin' the burn and more than a little claustrophobia. It was pretty cool to see the light, but the windows were foggy, so the view wasn't very good. All in all, we decided that we'd never climb it again, but we'd tell other people to. :)
After that, we went to a little seafood shop in Depoe Bay and paid an outrageous amount for 4 salmon fillets. I can remember eating wonderful salmon out here every summer, but I guess I've never been the one to pay for it. Holy cow! We definitely need to find another place to buy it. At least it ended up being fabulous when we grilled it for dinner. Then we raced out to the beach just in time to catch the sunset. We didn't take nearly as many pictures today since half of it was spent in the beachhouse, but here are a few:


Devil's Punchbowl

Yaquina Head Lighthouse

111 Stairs


Tonight's Sunset

No comments: