Sometimes I feel like it's a trick question because if we say, "yes," we come across as arrogant or naive and unaware of what's truly about to happen to our lives. If we say, "no," we seem like slackers who aren't excited enough about becoming parents.
The truth is that we're just about as ready as we ever could be. In fact, we're running out of ways to prepare. The nursery is ready; my backup coverage is all lined up at work; our bags are packed; I've read just about everything I can get my hands on about newborns; we've held, diapered & changed more babies that we can count; we've taken just about every class the hospital offers; the car seat is installed correctly.....what more is there to do???
Fill the freezer!!
So, that's our current project. I've got three really good freezer cookbooks (Fix, Freeze, Feast, Don't Panic, Dinner's In the Freezer, and Cover & Bake) that I pulled recipes from and I also got some recipes from "Once A Month Cooking" websites online. (I'd be happy to email the recipes if anyone wants them!)
We made 8 recipes over the weekend, which amounted to 12 breakfasts, 12 dinners, and 8 side dishes that we now have stocked in the freezer.
I've got a list of 11 more for my mom to cook when she comes up to visit. She may regret volunteering to cook for us once she sees what I have in mind! LOL
Anyway, the point is that while we're definitely bracing ourselves for a huge adjustment, I think we can safely say that we're "ready."
Now, ask us if the cats are ready...and that's another story. In one of our classes, the instructor suggested putting balloons in the crib to make your cat afraid of jumping in there. We were skeptical, but decided to give it a try. I'm sure you can probably guess what happened...
Tiger Lily thought the balloons were awesome, ran straight for the crib and hopped right in. She had previously lost most of her interest in the crib, so it definitely felt like a step in the wrong direction.
So, we moved on to Step 2 - POP a balloon while the cat is in the crib. It did scare her enough to make her jump out, but I have a feeling she'd be back in there right now if the door was open. She's definitely not a trainable cat. We're not sure if she's not very bright or if she's just really stubborn. :) Either way, it will definitely be interesting to see how this baby is going to fit into Tiger Lily & Sally's domain.
3 comments:
I read to try aluminum foil in the crib. Y'all are probably the most prepared people ever!! We're still not that prepared for Harrison! ;)
Whit
Ok, I'm going to try foil. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm not optimistic.
When we spray her with a water bottle, she just looks at us like we're dumb and then ends up leaving wet spots on the couch because she doesn't even bother to lick it off. Maybe she's preparing us to have a strong willed child. :)
Id like a copy of the receipes. We aren't to that point yet but it would be nice to have some suggestions when we are.
Sherry
Post a Comment