Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Nesting??

Nesting Instinct: Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in. This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.

I seem to always have the uncontrollable urge to clean my house and organize everything inside of it. Chris tells me that I'm crazy because if things are the least bit unsettled, I can't stand it. Shoes on the floor = "Our house is a disaster!" Dusty side tables = "Our house is so filthy!" I'm waiting for the day when Chris just gives up on trying to convince me that our house is "normal" and starts to agree that it's a pig sty when the pillows on the couch aren't centered.

I'm not claiming that my house is always spotless - just that I prefer it that way and it REALLY bothers me if it isn't. Yes, I realize that you guys THINK I'm going to have to get over that once the baby is here. But MYYYYY baby will be neat & tidy. ;) ha ha

Anyway, I wasn't exactly sure what I'd do when the so-called nesting instinct kicked in. Everything in my house is already labeled and what some have called "obsessively organized." My closet is organized by color & sleeve length, with only white plastic hangers, of course. (Mommy Dearest?) Our basement storage shelves are filled with matching gray tubs that are all neatly labeled. The hallway linen closet has six labeled bins and stacks of only white towels. I even got a wild hair one day and organized all of Chris' tools into little drawers made for scrap booking. They're neatly labeled and he knows exactly where to put his flat head screwdrivers, tape measures, "Alan" wrenches, etc.

Well, you get the point. I'm not sure if the true nesting instinct has kicked in yet, but Chris will probably want to institutionalize me when it does.

This past weekend, I managed to find something that I had yet to obsess over. I organized all of the files and pictures on our computers from 2004 - present. I spent an entire day making backup CDs for each year of pictures just in case our computer decides to crash one day. I'm surprised I hadn't done this before, to be honest.

While I was being a little neurotic, Chris kept asking for things to do and at the end of the day, he'd accomplished so much more than I had. He vacuumed every room and all of the stairs, changed the sheets, washed the duvet cover, dusted the side tables, cleaned the bathrooms that he didn't think were even dirty in the first place, took all of the give away stuff to the mission.....the list goes on. All I had to show for myself was a stack of CDs and a more organized hard drive.

So, here's to Chris, my incredibly helpful hubby. I don't thank him nearly enough!

By the way - I just noticed that we've finally moved to the biggest baby on the pregnancy ticker up at the top of the blog. WOO HOO!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I think you ARE a bird- constantly nesting!! So, you could come here and do all of that stuff, and I could come there and paint, tile, etc. Too bad we don't live closer!
:)
Whit